Anti-Spambot: what algorithm should be used?

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM dlv at bwalk.dm.com
Tue Apr 8 09:14:57 PDT 1997

owner-cypherpunks at manifold.algebra.com writes:

> As we all know, there exist certain programs, called "spambots", whose
> task is to post various messages to many newsgroups simultaneously.
>
> Besides their posting functionality, certain spambot programs take
> special care to make their spams undetectable by anti-spambots. In
> particular, they can be programmed to modify certain fields or the
> message text itself in such a way that these messages would not look
> unique, but would still carry the same content.

I just came up with yet another brilliant idea how to combine Usenet
marketing with e-cash. Suppose Alice runs an advertizing agency and gets
paid to publicize certain messages of commercial or political nature.

She sets up a Web page listing the catalog of regexps that she wishes to
publicize. Something like:

1. Visit.*teens.*http://www.xxxfoo.bar
2. Elect.*John M. Grubor.*sheriff
4. For a drooling good time.*900-555-5555
3. Drink Kaka Cola

and a price list for each regexp - say, $2 for posting this regexp in a
moderated newsgroup, 50c for the Big 8, 25c for alt and regionals. I'm
not sure if cross-posts should be discounted. Assuming there are several
such Alices, the prices will be set by supply and demand.

Suppose Bob, in search of a few quick bucks, comes across Alice's site.
We'd have to think of a protocol, but Alice assigns Bob an id which he
must mention together with the regexps in order to get credit. Alice and
Bob enter a contract. Bob puts one or more of Alice's regexps in his
Usenet articles - most likely in the .signature. For example: