Key Recovery Agent Non-use Logo

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 1 20:13:52 PST 1997

The proposed crypto law that the Administration is trying
to foist on CONgress includes the following wonderful provision:
>                 TITLE V -- OTHER KEY RECOVERY PROVISIONS
>SEC. 501.  LABELING OF ENCRYPTION PRODUCTS.
>(A)  Any person engaged in manufacturing, importing, packaging,
>distributing or labeling of encryption products for purposes of sale or
>distribution in the United States shall package and label them so as to
>inform the user whether the products use Key Recovery Agents registered
>under this Act for storage of recovery information, and whether such
>products are authorized for use in transactions with the United States
>Government, as specified in regulations promulgated by the Secretary.

Yes, that's right, if you're selling crypto products in the US,
if they talk Congress into passing this law, even if you're not
participating in the Key Recovery Agent program, you'll be required
to label your software to indicate whether or not you are.
To simplify this process, I've designed a logo* for non-users of the
Key Recovery Agency Program to put on their software.

	[*Ok, actually I ripped it off from Intel, but the
	Supreme Court says artistic parodies are legal :-)
	If a Real Artist wants to improve it, thanks! ]

The text of the proposal and the CDT's analysis can be found at:
	http://www.cdt.org/crypto/admin_397_draft.html
nokrap.gif

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts at ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)