active practice in America

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Mon Sep 30 16:49:15 PDT 1996

At 2:42 PM -0400 9/30/96, Marc J. Wohler wrote:
>At 08:45 AM 9/30/96 -0800, you wrote:

>>(Legal purists will point out that the second trial was for "Federal civil
>>rights violations." Harummphh. What would the Founders think of this logic:
>
>I am sure you know the reason for the 'civil rights violation laws.
>
>In the 50's & early 60's, all while jury's in the deep south refusing to
>convict obviously guilty white defendants of rape and  murder against blacks.
>
>What would be *your* remedy in such cases.

Certainly not throwing out the principle of double jeopardy, that a man
should only be tried once for the same alleged crime. As for my "remedy,"
not all injustices can be righted.

(The O.J. trial was a case of a mostly-black jury refusing to convict an
obviously guilty black defendant....and yet I don't hear calls for a
_second_ criminal trial.)

As for the historical reasons for the "conspiracy to not take seriously the
civil rights of an aggrieved minority" nonsense, isn't it about time to
roll back such laws? Whatever the putative justification for such things
might have been 30-40 years ago, this is now, that was then.

--Tim May

Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.