Utah as a Religious Police State

Deana Holmes mirele at xmission.com
Mon Sep 30 10:04:43 PDT 1996

On 29 Sep 96 at 17:36, Ryan Russell/SYBASE wrote:

> Hmm...never heard that one before.  Care to produce
> a reference?
>
> (Or am I supposed to be ignoring this guy when he
> makes ridiculous claims?)
>
>     Ryan

I suspect that Dmitri is referring to the Mountain Meadows Massacre.
It's not a pretty story and is one of the low points of Mormon
history.

The late historian Juanita Brooks wrote about the masscre, and about
the leader, John D. Lee, in a couple of books.

> To: cypherpunks
> cc:
> From: dlv @ bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM) @ smtp
> Date: 09/29/96 05:54:09 PM
> Subject: Re: Utah as a Religious Police State
>
> Ryan Russell/SYBASE writes:
> > I guess that depends on your definition of liberty.  The Mormons
> > originally moved there to have a place to practice their religion,
> > and have freedom from persecution.  I suppose one could extend that
> > to wanting a place to have the freedom to have a set of rules consistant
> > with their beliefs.  Should that include freedom from interferance from
> > folks such as yourself who want to change their rules, even though
> > you're not presently effected?
>
> It's worth noting that one of Utah mormons favorite pastimes was to ambush
> the settlers heading for California, kill them all, and take their property.
> However the mormons were dealt with much less severely than the local Indians
> who tried the same tricks. Pity.
===end vulis rant===

Deana

Deana M. Holmes
April 1996 poster child for clueless $cientology litigiousness
alt.religion.scientology archivist since 2/95
mirele at xmission.com