Basis of FCC Jurisdiction [RANT]

Steve Schear azur at netcom.com
Sat Sep 28 11:17:58 PDT 1996

Last week I started a thread on the Telecom Regulation list.  My intention
was to introduce discussion of some circe-1780s Republican questioning, as
opposed to the widely accepted Federalist.  The most interesting composite
result is below:

>Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 22:08:03 -0500
>Sender: telecomreg at relay.doit.wisc.edu
>From: "Michael D. Sullivan" <mds at access.digex.net>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <telecomreg at relay.doit.wisc.edu>
>Subject: Re: Basis of FCC Jurisdiction (Republican rant)
>
>Steve Schear <azur at netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >I've been wondering lately about the jurisdictional limits of the FCC
> >vis-a-vis the Article(s) of the Constitution from which they derive their
> >authority.  My understanding is that the FCC is empowered under the Fed's
> >interstate commerce clauses.  If so, how valid is their jurisdiction over
> >low power and/or millimeter wave transmissions.  It seems a case can be
> >made that such transmissions represent little or no possibility of
> >interstate transmission.
>
>To which Bob Jacobson <bob at worldesign.com> replied:
>
> >The FCC derives its authority by Congressional mandate, so the question is
> >rightly posed as "Does Congress have rights to regulate local radio trans-
> >missions?"  Congress abrocated to itself the right to regulate all radio
> >transmissions, on the grounds that any transmission might interfere with
> >the transmissions of interstate broadcasters.  Generally, this right has
> >been upheld by the courts, although states have successfully challenged
> >the absolute power of the FCC with regard to certain aspects of non-radio
> >transmissions -- for example, telephone calls -- that do not cross state
> >boundaries and even some that do.  To my knowledge, no form of electronic
> >transmission is invulnerable to some type of regulation, whether federal
> >or state (including municipal regulation by cities and counties, creatures
> >of the states).  Of course, there are loopholes, as the Internet has amply
> >demonstrated.
>
>In further response, John Levin <jlevin at paonline.com> added:
>
> >This discussion is incorrect by omission. The reason that states have
> >authority over intrastate telephone service is because Congress says they
> >do. The Telecommunications Acts carve out areas of state and federal
> >jurisdiction.  The FCC, like any other agency, takes an expansive view of
> >their authority and courts occasionally rein in such excursions after
> >looking at their enabling statutes.  The technical doctrine is 'federal
> >preemption', and unless Congress expressly preempts the states, or the
> >preemption is necessary to effectuate a national policy authorized by
> >federal legislation, the states retain control of state activities.  As to
> >what constitutes 'interstate commerce' for the purposes of the U.S.
> >Constitution, there are hundreds, if not thousands of court decisions on
> >that topic.  During most of this century, usually even a very slight
> >impact on interstate commerce has been found to be sufficient for Congress
> >to legislate.  Those of you who plan on using 'states rights' as a basis
> >for disobeying Federal laws or regulations should consult an attorney and
> [...]

PGP Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Snoop Daty Data           | Internet: azur at netcom.com
Grinder                   | Voice: 1-702-655-2877
Sacred Cow Meat Co.       | Fax: 1-702-658-2673
7075 W. Gowan Road, #2148 |
Las Vegas, NV 89129       |

Just say NO to prescription DRUGS.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for
 the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    -- C.S. Lewis

"Surveillence is ultimately just another form of media, and thus, potential
entertainment."
    -- G. Beato