possible solution to cyber S/N

snow snow at smoke.suba.com
Thu Sep 26 19:56:42 PDT 1996

Mr. Nuri wrote:
> in the scientific arena. a paper that is pivotal and influential
> is referred to ad infinitum. obscure papers are forgotten and
> never referred to in subsequent literature.
> taking this idea to the cyberspace arena, the application is
> immediately obvious-- pages that are linked to by a lot of
> other pages are valuable, those that are not are not as
> valuable.

     I'd bet that there are more links to playboy.com or "xxx.sex.com"
than to thomas.loc.gov.

     This suffers from the fatal flaw of democracy, the assumption that
one million people are smarter than 10.

     Who was it that said "No one ever went broke underestimating the
intelligence of the average american"?

Petro, Christopher C.
petro at suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow at smoke.suba.com