56 kbps modems

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 19 04:50:57 PDT 1996

At 10:41 AM 9/17/96 -0700, Eric Murray <ericm at lne.com> wrote:

>Crypto/security related: how hard is it to hack a Frame Relay
>connection?  My impression is that it requires access to
>one of the telco's routing computers, which would make it
>about equivalent in difficulty to hacking POTS.

Frame Relay doesn't get handled by the telco's POTS routing
(unlike ISDN) - it's handled by whatever frame relay switch
the telco uses.  I don't know what Pac Bell uses; AT&T uses
Stratacom switches, I think MCI uses Cascade, USWest uses a
mixture.  Frame switches mostly use Permanent Virtual Circuits,
though Switched Virtual Circuits will be coming out in the
next year or so.  PVCs are pretty tough to hack, because they
mostly get provisioned from an administrative interface
on the switch rather than in-band.  SVCs will offer a bit more
risk, since switching is switching.  But it's probably pretty tough.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts at ix.netcom.com
# <A HREF="http://idiom.com/~wcs">
# You can get PGP software outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto