56 kbps modems

craigw at dg.ce.com.au craigw at dg.ce.com.au
Wed Sep 18 20:39:41 PDT 1996

>Interesting. . .  Oh well, I bet their competition doesn't mind.

That is the major problem. We have only 2 carriers in this country.
The market is not being deregulated untill mid 97. Optus the other
carrier has only just installed local access (rather than STD, ISDN
only) and it covers ~ 11% of the population with this service. The
other problem is that they use lines leased from telstra as many
councils and communities are complaining about the laying of new
cables (arrr joe public). In a recent case where optus decided to try
and lay the cables against council wishes the council impounded
several of the vehicles used.
Is it not great to live in the "lucky country". Here in Au we seem to
delight in first complaining of the poor line quality, and than stop
new line being installed
Craig

        ,'~``.              \|/              ,'``~.
        (-o=o-)            (@ @)            ,(-o=o-),
+--.oooO--(_)--Ooo-----oOO-(_)-OOo-------oooO--(_)--Oooo.------+
|                                                              |
|   Soon, we may all be staring at our computers, wondering    |
|               whether they're staring back.                  |
| [Network Admin For WPA Business Products.  aka doshai >;-) ] |
|    .oooO        http://pip.com.au/~doshai/      Oooo.        |
|    (   )   Oooo.                        .oooO   (   )        |
Key fingerprint = 2D F4 54 BB B4 EA F1 E7  B6 DE 48 92 FC 8D FF 49
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.
(if I want to give it to you)