The GAK Momentum is Building...

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Wed Sep 18 03:33:01 PDT 1996

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Steve Schear wrote:
> It seems that in order for this to work Net consumers must be
> convinced/coerced into accepting the GAK security features.  What if, due
> to a grassroots uprising, Neters refuse to use products which require GAK
> or Net services which will only operate via GAK?  Isn't there an great
> opportunity being created for S/Wan, Apache and its ilk and third-party
> (especially off-shore, non-COCOM, produced) security plug-ins?

Simple. Incentivize sites/server/payment system manufacturers to require
certs from their users. This is already underway. See SET. Then make sure
that the certs/keys are GAK'ed. Yes, I know there is a difference between
certs and keys. Joe User doesn't. Neither does the media. It is a two step
process.

> Enacting laws which make criminals out otherwise upstanding citizens is the
> surest path to civil disobedience/unrest, disrespect for duly constituted
> government and more serious criminal behavior.  I guess I and many friends
> will be on posters in the Post Office.

Those of us that won't have "reformed", have been shot, or imprisoned,
will indeed be on the posters in the Post Office. And the banners on all
major websites.

--Lucky