Anthrax on the 'net [Was Re: Fear of Flying -- from HotWired ]

Mike Fletcher fletch at ain.bls.com
Tue Sep 17 17:53:00 PDT 1996

>>Gee, biotech has come a long way.  Now I can download the Anthrax DNA
>>sequence from the net and insert it in some carrier bacteria and start
>>making Anthrax bacteria.  Neat!
> Now the bad news:  the DNA replicator only works under Windows 95 and comes
> with buggy drivers!

	Buggy drivers?  But isn't that the point in this case? :)

> Unfortunately, it can be very deadly.  The idea here is that it rarely infect
> humans - in the normal course of events.  If a determined biowarrior is tryin
> to infect people, all bets are off.

	The Frank Herbert (of _Dune_ fame) book _White Plague_ comes
to mind.  Basically a molecluar biologist's wife and kids are killed
by an IRA bomb while visiting Dublin.  He snaps and creates a plague
which kills women (men are carriers) as revenge.  All without using
that nasty Internet (in fact, the book was written back before even
ARPAnet).

---
Fletch                                                     __`'/|
fletch at ain.bls.com  "Lisa, in this house we obey the       \ o.O'    ______
404 713-0414(w)      Laws of Thermodynamics!" H. Simpson   =(___)= -| Ack. |
404 315-7264(h) PGP Print: 8D8736A8FC59B2E6 8E675B341E378E43  U      ------