[Long] A history of Netscape/MSIE problems

pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Sep 17 09:21:00 PDT 1996

In case anyone's interested, I've finally found the source I used for the
claim that RC2/RC4 were exportable if the details were kept quiet:

  "Details about them [RC2 and RC4] have not been published (including by
   patenting) in order to maintain their special export status".

       -- RSA FAQ, version 1.0, draft 1e, 14 September 1992, p.40.

This makes sense - the NSA wouldn't want the details published to stop non-US
non-crippled versions appearing, and I can't really imagine RSADSI volutarily
not patenting a new algorithm.

Peter.