Spam blacklist project

hallam at ai.mit.edu hallam at ai.mit.edu
Mon Sep 16 20:01:56 PDT 1996

Hi,

	The following idea just hit me. How about a server which
maintained a list of people who don't want to recive SPAM? The idea
being that email recpients who don't want SPAM send their email
address to the list. A SPAMer who want to check an email to see
if it is on the list could then obtain the SHA-Digested list of
addresses and remove them from their internal databases.

	Of course I don't for a moment imagine that this will
be 100% effective. Without government regulation there will
always be slimeballs who send mail to people who don't want it.

	The advantage of this scheme is that it would mean that
the spam industry can avoid regulation pressure and they can
deflect criticism. Meanwhile recipients of unwanted spam have
a legitimate beef.

	Comments?

		Phill