Unsolicited email advertising already illegal in US?

Ian Goldberg iang at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 16 18:53:26 PDT 1996

This piece from RISKS looks interesting.  My computer certainly _is_

    "equipment which has the capacity to transcribe text or images
    (or both) from an electronic signal received over a regular
    telephone line onto paper."

Now, are HipCrime et al. liable for $500 in damages for each piece of spam?
If so, where do I sign up?

   - Ian