56 kbps modems

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Sun Sep 15 17:40:43 PDT 1996

At 01:31 AM 9/15/96 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:

>Unless they're _really_ talking about ISDN "modems", I'm surprised
>to hear somebody saying they can take 56 kbps, turn it into analog,
>let the phone company quantize and mu-law the analog into 64kbps,
>and still get the original 56kbps back out.  But if they can, well,
>yee-hah, ISDN is nearly dead :-)  (Not totally dead; the signalling is
>still useful for some applications, the convenience of two channels on
>one wire pair is nice, and the fact that people can get 56kbps without
>the phone company's help will pressure them into offering ISDN for
>a lower price in areas where the Phone Company's idea of "all the market
>will bear" is substantially higher than voice pricing.)

If the phoneco was realistic about ISDN value, they'd decide that since
anybody can buy a 31k modem  for $100 or so, the "value" of a 128K
connection is about $400, and then they'd charge based on the actuarial
value of this hypothetical one-time fee, at perhaps an interest rate of 5%
or so:  In other words, about a $20 per year charge, or around $2 per month.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com