Nonsense, absolute nonsense... [Fwd: HipCrime and Spam]

Admin admin at superhot.com
Fri Sep 13 16:47:33 PDT 1996

At 12:21 PM 9/13/96 -0600, you wrote:
>At 19:02 9/12/96, Ross Wright wrote to cypherpunks at toad.com and
>remailer-operators at c2.org and...:
>>On Or About: 12 Sep 96 at 17:48, Rabid Wombat wrote:
>>> However, since others may think like you, I guess I'll have to add a line
>>> above my link stating that email not related to the purpose of my site
>>> will be happily proof-read at the rate of $200 per hour,
>>
>>Just great.  That sure takes away any anonymity you had about being
>>"on the cutting edge" of the information age.  That 1952 "proof-read"
>>crap went out in the 70's.  How can you hope to enforce it?  It's a
>>joke, right? :)  Maybe not, since it's on your sig-line.
>

>Hey, that was my too-long sig, Ross.  There is obviously more than one
>person who disagrees with your assertion that listing an email address
>somewhere is an open invitation for mail to that address on any topic or
>for any purpose.
>
>Also, I charge $500 per message.  I've always liked flat fees. :-)

How would you know what the *intent* of these other people is in placing
mailme: tags on their public pages unless you have been to the specific
pages. You speak only for yourself, yet you try to imply that you speak for
everyone on the www who has placed a mailto: tag on their pages.

>The context in which any email address is mentioned will tell you what
>sorts of messages are expected at that address.

Would it make a difference if the message to the webmasters mailto: buttons
said "Nice webpages you have, when you get a moment check out my designs".
Remember the thread is about an Artist who sent out only his URL to
encourage visitors. This is and was a NON commercial site.

>To maintain otherwise is
>just a flimsy excuse for "seedy low life multi-level-marketing jerks" who
>want to cover their postage-due unsolicited advertising/promotional email
>in some false cloak of respectability.

*Respectability* is subjective to the definer...

>To continue the comment box analogy, the stuffing of salsa sample comment
>boxes (next to the salsa sample booth in the grocery store) with ads for
>anything you're pushing is most decidedly not what the comment box is for.

Without a disclaimer on the box stating specifically what cannot be placed
in it there can be no knowing what the boxholder finds of personal interest...

>--
>"As the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed, the Internet
>deserves the highest protection from governmental intrusion. ... Just as the
>strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our liberty depends
>upon the chaos and cacophony of the unfettered speech the First Amendment
>protects."
>        -- Judge Stewart Dalzell
>
>Unsolicited advertising/promotional email proofread for $500/message!  Your
>sending such a message to me is an explicit request for my services!

Inane, off-thread, unsupported weak analogous attempts at reasoned argument
received, but not read - simply deleted, for $1000/message. Sending OR
posting the above to me or a Newsgroup that I may happen to read constitutes
your accord and acceptance of the above contract. If I must read them, the
fee is $2000/message.

admin
<>________________Lowest_Priced_Long_Distance__________________<>
||Long Distance 9.9¢/min           |Helping hardworking people ||
||9.9¢ Anytime, Anywhere in US!    |like yourself pay the      ||
||Free sign-up, 6 second billing   |lowest possible price for  ||
||http://www.superhot.com/phone    |high quality LD service.   ||