What is this nonsense? (Anti DVD piracy chip)

Gary Howland gary at systemics.com
Fri Sep 13 09:06:36 PDT 1996

Taken from a recent Edupage:

> SGS-THOMSON TAKES AIM AT DVD PIRACY
> SGS-Thomson Microelectronics has developed a computer chip that prevents
> would-be DVD pirates from making unlawful copies of movies from digital
> video disc players.  The chip scrambles the disk's coding if it's duplicated
> on a VCR.  (Investor's Business Daily 11 Sep 96 A6)

Anyone know anything about this?  Sounds like nonsense to me ...

Gary
--
"Of course the US Constitution isn't perfect; but it's a lot better
than what we have now."  -- Unknown.

pub  1024/C001D00D 1996/01/22  Gary Howland <gary at systemics.com>
Key fingerprint =  0C FB 60 61 4D 3B 24 7D  1C 89 1D BE 1F EE 09 06