Voluntary Disclosure of True Names

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Mon Sep 9 12:43:07 PDT 1996

At 11:18 AM 9/8/96, James A. Donald wrote:
>At 10:49 AM 9/5/96 -0700, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:
>> I have seen it repeated here often that somehow anonymity is some kind
>> of a "right" that one should have in all kinds of different & important
>> transactions, not merely on "cyberspace debate societies". I see
>> here frequently the implication that *private*entities* that want to
>> enforce identity in their own transactions are somehow implementing
>> a corrupt, orwellian system.
>
>We hold that private entities have the right to attempt to impose corrupt
>orwellian systems provided they do not do it at gunpoint, but we doubt
>that they will succeed without guns.

An overstatement which diminishes the power of your arguments.

Namely, many, many corporations have Orwellian surveillance systems and
policies which would be unacceptable if imposed by a government. No guns
are involved, only the considerations of employment, paychecks, and the
like.

Likewise, many private schools have such systems. Likewise, no guns are
involved.

And so on.

(Naturally, I am not criticizing these voluntarily-entered-into
arrangements, merely rebutting the point that people will generally not put
up with Orwellian schemes unless threatened with guns.)

--Tim May

Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.