How to send bogus mail to mislead traffic analysis?

Andrew Loewenstern andrew_loewenstern at il.us.swissbank.com
Wed Sep 4 22:19:54 PDT 1996

an anonymous squirrel wrote:
>  How can I send messages to remailer so that they will get
>  lost? I want to generate a more or less steady flow of
>  remailer-processed, encrypted mail.

The single best way to generate a steady flow of encrypted
remailer-processed mail for the purpose of disguising your own personal
remail is to operate a publicly accessible remailer from your own account.
This offers many advantages:

1. encrypted remail is (more or less, depending on traffic) constantly
flowing from your account:  the addition of your own remail traffic will not
raise any more flags.

2. there is always at least one remailer in your chain you can trust: yours.
 This means you never have to worry about compromised remailers.

3. if your mailings are traced back to your account, operating a remailer
gives you more 'plausible deniability' than if you weren't...

4. if remailers start charging for service, you not only would continue to
enjoy free remailing, but you could possibly make money...

5. you aren't likely to get blacklisted from your own remailer...

6. you get to read the complaints generated by your own messages  (is this
the cyberspatial equivalent to "doing it just to see their expression"

7. you could get your picture on the front-page of a British tabloid...

...to name a few....

andrew