What is the EFF doing exactly?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Sep 4 12:29:56 PDT 1996

At 07:10 AM 9/4/96 -0500, Jon Lebkowsky wrote:
> Is that true? Or is it that the individual user would be guilty of a crime?

Since the individual user would already be guilty of a crime, if he is
using the remailer to conceal his crimes, the paragraph in question would
be fairly useless and irrelevant unless it had the meaning that Jim Bell
attributes to it.

I believe that judges have a policy of interpreting deliberately
ambiguous statutes in whatever way makes the most sense.  The only
sensible interpretation of Leahy's bill is that it criminalizes
strong remailers, that it is intended to punish ANYONE, not just
the criminals themselves, who obstructs investigations.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd at echeque.com