What is the EFF doing exactly?

Declan McCullagh declan at eff.org
Wed Sep 4 11:17:04 PDT 1996

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Jon Lebkowsky wrote:

> Getting beyond this discussion of EFF, has any global entity discussed
> making remailers illegal?

Others have responded with information about the Church of Scientology and
similar threats to remailers. I would add that global entities haven't
woken up to the threat of anonymous remailers and that remailers aren't
widely deployed yet -- two conditions that when they change will be
sufficient for a global crackdown.

My cover story in last month's issue of _Internet Underground_ magazine
discussed how governments can move quickly to craft international treaties
that could muzzle the Net. This is what we have to be on the lookout for;
in fact, we need to have a "friendly" country introduce an opposing
proposal that countries can bicker over for decades, while the Net matures
and strengthens and improves its defenses against this type of attack.

-Declan

// declan at eff.org // I do not represent the EFF // declan at well.com //