Message Digest

stewarts at ix.netcom.com stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 4 08:34:20 PDT 1996

At 11:31 AM 9/3/96 -0400, you wrote:
>> I'm interested in a 256 bits (or more) message digest algorithm
>> (C source is better). Any URLs ?
>Try HAVAL.  It is a variable one-way hash function that is apparently secure
>against collisions.  It should be on any of the standard crypto FTP sites.

Or there's the simple "MD5(x),SHA(x)", which is 288 bits long and has the
advantage that the two parts have different characteristics and have
been looked at (separately) by many people, so concatenating them
should be fairly strong.  Or "MD5(SHA(x)),SHA(MD5(x))" if you're paranoid.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts at ix.netcom.com
# <A HREF="http://idiom.com/~wcs">
# You can get PGP software outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto