The Esther Dyson Flap

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Sep 3 13:45:14 PDT 1996

At 08:11 PM 9/2/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:
> Esther Dyson says that anonymity on the Net can do more damage than
> anonymity in other forums, and thus may need to be regulated and restricted
> in various ways.
>
> [...]
>
> This is the "knife edge," or "fork in the road," I've long talked about. If
> anonymity is outlawed, it will take draconian measures to enforce
> it--citizen-unit ID cards, officially issued encryption keys, escrow,
> monitoring of communications, massive penalties to deter illegal use of
> encryption, and other police state measures.

Esther Dyson has gone over to the enemy, she is chairman of the EFF,
therefore the EFF has gone over to the enemy.

> I don't call her our enemy. Perhaps she just hasn't thought things through
> as deeply as many of us have.

This seems unlikely.  After all, it is her job.

The net makes free speech more effective.  Therefore the world must become
more free, or else must suppress free speech, and thus become less free.

Which side are you on?

It is that simple.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|