DON'T Nuke Singapore Back into the Stone Age

Jean-Francois Avon jf_avon at citenet.net
Tue Sep 3 04:42:45 PDT 1996

On  2 Sep 96 at 11:46, Enzo Michelangeli wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Sep 1996 ichudov at algebra.com wrote:

> > James Seng wrote:
> > > To understand the sitution better, you should not impose America
> > > idealogy and perspection on how things to be done to Singapore.
> > > Singapore maybe young but there are certain culture too.

I agree with that.  I should therefore cease, as much as possible,
to interact with them by stopping to buy anything made in Singapore.
Then, let them starve, fed by their highers cultural ideas.

> > > Most importantly, the move to censor certain WWW site actually
> > > comes as a relieve to many people, especially parents who
> > > worried about the bad influence of it. We can go into the same
> > > discussion about whose responsibilty it is but before you do
> > > that, please bear in mind that this is Singapore.

At whose moral expanse?

> Of course, one may argue that the racial, social and religious
> relations are better handled the American way. That, however, is a
> controversial issue, and adopting confrontational cowboy attitudes
> is not going to make the social evolution any faster.

Who talks of social evolution?  We only talk about civil liberties.
And they are damn easy to implement: Leave your neighbor do what he
pleases.  Mind your own business.

> IMHO, the present measures represent more a gesture of appeasement
> to concerned social conservatives, not differently from the CDA in
> the US, than an attempt to control the flow of information.

This whole paragraph is a fine example of appeasement.  And the CDA
*is* an attempt to control the flow, not of information, but of
ideas.

jfa
 DePompadour, Societe d'Importation Ltee; Limoges porcelain, silverware and crystal
 JFA Technologies, R&D consultants: physicists, technologists and engineers.

 PGP keys at: http://w3.citenet.net/users/jf_avon
 ID# C58ADD0D : 529645E8205A8A5E F87CC86FAEFEF891