Los Angeles Times article on Helsingius and anon.penet.fi

Esther Dyson edyson at edventure.com
Mon Sep 2 11:39:37 PDT 1996

At least you don't accuse me of being a Communist.  For the record, I am not
a tool of the CIA nor have they pressured me, but there's no reason for you
to believe me.

Esther Dyson

At 08:23 PM 9/2/96 +1000, Julian Assange wrote:

SNIP ---

>Examining in detail Dyson's interests it appears she maintains a
>sizeable and long-standing interest in Eastern European technology
>companies. She is also clearly very far to the right of the political
>spectrum (rampant capitalist would be putting it mildly). She also speaks
>Russian. I'm not saying she has been working for the CIA for the past
>decade, but I would be very surprised if the CIA has not exerted quite
>significant pressure (which they are easily able to do given the
>location of many of Dyson's assets) in order to bring her into their
>folds during that time period.
>
>--
>"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
> may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons
> than  under  omnipotent  moral busybodies,  The robber baron's  cruelty may
> sometimes sleep,  his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who
> torment us for own good  will torment us  without end,  for they do so with
> the approval of their own conscience."    -   C.S. Lewis, _God in the Dock_
>+---------------------+--------------------+----------------------------------+
>|Julian Assange RSO   | PO Box 2031 BARKER | Secret Analytic Guy Union        |
>|proff at suburbia.net   | VIC 3122 AUSTRALIA | finger for PGP key hash ID =     |
>|proff at gnu.ai.mit.edu | FAX +61-3-98199066 | 0619737CCC143F6DEA73E27378933690 |
>+---------------------+--------------------+----------------------------------+

Esther Dyson				Always make new mistakes!
EDventure Holdings
<edyson at edventure.com>
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10011 USA
www.edventure.com
High-Tech Forum in Lisbon, October 27-29, 1996
PC Forum in Tucson, Arizona, March 23-26, 1997