Sex, drugs, and libertarianism [RANT]

Dale Thorn dthorn at gte.net
Tue Oct 29 23:16:02 PST 1996

Timothy C. May wrote:
> At 3:54 PM -0600 10/29/96, Steve Edwards wrote:
> >This isn't about crypto but since cypherpunks is the most interesting
> >libertarian forum I know, I thought I'd throw it out.
> >It has been said many times in this forum that prostitution and drugs are
> >victimless crimes.  Is this really so?  Although I am generally in concert
> >with libertarian views, I would say that the young lady I talked to was
> >definitely a victim.  Also, if we are a society, rather than fortress-like
> >individuals, we should be concerned with the inevitable spread of disease
> >and insanity that is the result of "victimless" crimes.

[mucho snippo]

All of the Libertarian blah about "let us do whatever we want" is just great, huh?

What if I want to live in a dry county, and some "new" people move in and want to
start up liquor sales?  I guess I have to move to get away from these people, huh?
I get tired of running away, and I say, if you want liquor, porno, etc., go somewhere
else for it.  San Francisco would be good.

So what's the problem with alcohol and liquor?  Somebody is gonna hurt themselves?
Who gives a shit? (unless they hurt someone else, of course, and they usually do).

And please, let's not fall into the con of believing that Chris Reeve or Mr. Brady (of
Brady Bill fame) are the central issue in welfare initiatives, once the government gets
involved.  When the government gets involved, it's after they've already studied the
pros and cons (i.e., how much profit can we make, and what's our liability risk?), and
Brady and Reeve and all the other lifty-blinkys can go take a hike as far as Joe
CongressGraftPerson is concerned.