some RSA questions

Jüri Kaljundi jk at stallion.ee
Sun Oct 27 06:47:15 PST 1996

Some questions about writing a program that uses RSA.

Let's assume we have 3 participants (Alice, Bob, Carol). The idea is for
Bob to send an encrypted and signed message to Alice. Although Bob
constructs the message, signs it and encrypts it, it is Carol who can
decide some parts of the message.

The message is small, 200-400 bytes in length. Some of the contents of the
message are always the same (field names) and the message looks much like
mail headers:

Field1Name: field1contents
Field2Name: field2contents
Field3Name: field3contents

Carol can decide, what goes into the field contents.

Now the easiest way would be to sign the message using Bob's private key
and encrypt is using Alice's public key. What Carol wants to do is forge