Car Rental: Refusal to take Check Cards

Black Unicorn unicorn at schloss.li
Sun Oct 20 05:19:53 PDT 1996

On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> Black Unicorn <unicorn at schloss.li> writes:
> <a bunch of very interesting stuff>
> > Although I pointed out that a customer can likewise stop payment on a
> > credit charge, it appears that while the credit card issuers must adhere
> > to a standard requirement for dispute resolution (between merchant and
> > issuing bank) check cards often have no standard dispute resolution system
> > or no system at all.  This leaves the recourse to negotiations between
> > rental car company and consumer.  This often results in collection
> > procedures.  (Read, expensive)
>
> If the customer has a dispute with the merchant and follows certain
> procedures, s/he has a great many rights. S/he gives up those rights
> by not following the proper procedures. Most people don't realize this
> when they have a dispute.

> > One would assume that on the spot clearing methods (digital cash) would
> > solve this problem.  Just TRY, however, to rent a car with real cash.
>
> The folks who blew up the World Trade Center rented their van with cash.

I said car.  It's very difficult.

No one really wants to steal those big yellow vans.  For some reason theft
or damage of of those is not a serious problem and a good portion of their
business is students moving who do not have estlablished credit yet.

Go try it out.  Renting cars with cash, while possible, is extremely
difficult.

--
I hate lightning - finger for public key - Vote Monarchist
unicorn at schloss.li