EC patent

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Thu Oct 17 17:39:45 PDT 1996

At 04:53 PM 10/17/96 -0400, Robert Hettinga wrote:
>--- begin forwarded text
>Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:03:34 +0800
>From: James Lee <jlee at ccl.itri.org.tw>
>Addressed to: set-discuss at commerce.net
>+----------------------------------------------------+
>
>I heard that CitiBank has filed for a patent in Japan with 140+ claims
>covering many aspects of electronic commerce, security electronic
>transaction, etc. Does anyone know more about it? What impact will it
>bring to all SET members?
>James Lee
>--- end forwarded text

Maybe Japanese law is different, but don't I recall reading somewhere that
"methods of doing business," business practices in general, are not
patentable?

Not that it would surprise me if the Patent Office idiots were to change
their minds, like they did concerning software, algorithms, and mathematics
in general...

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com