DES cracker.

Adam Back aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk
Thu Oct 17 17:36:49 PDT 1996

[added cc cypherpunks also]

Sameer Parekh <sameer at c2.org> writes:
> Peter Trei <trei at process.com> writes:
> > 	Ideally, this should be a DEMO case of a real world encrypted
> > application, in which we have a cryptotext, and a known plaintext,
> > each at least one 8-byte block long.
>
> 	I'd like to get in touch with a bank who can provide us some
> sample ciphertext for an ATM transaction or something like that. I
> initially thought we should hit SWIFT, but that would be very
> illegal. =)

If someone can dig up a selection of banking protocols (some of these
things must be standardised), perhaps we can simulate the same thing
without the legal implications.

Of course you'd need the person constructing the challenge to be
trustworthy to the tune of $10k, or whatever the prize fund pans out
to be.  For that matter the NSA, or anyone else with a hardware
breaker would be able to cheat, but then they help our cause, which is
to demonstrate how weak DES is :-)

So start digging for banking protocols!  Personal contacts, web
searches, obtaining standard documents, dumpster diving, whatever it
takes.

Adam