"Forward Privacy" for ISPs and Customers

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Fri Oct 11 09:33:47 PDT 1996

At 7:45 AM -0400 10/11/96, Tim Scanlon wrote:
>by way of Timothy C. May:
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> It seems to me that they are actually selling two seperate things.  One is
>> connectivity the other storage.  The storage might have a different legal
>> status than the connectivity.  So, is email part of the connectivity or the
>> storage?  What is the legal status of phone company provided voice mail?
>>This
>> seems pretty close to email.

Careful with the attribution--I did not write anything in the paragraph above.

However, I agree with most of the points you made.

>That aside, they're deluding themselves. As long as there are
>CryptoAnarchists and people willing to create the ability for
>common people to maintain (notice I said maintain) privacy in
>their lives, they won't win. They can't unless they want to sacrifice
>freedom and become totolitarians.
>
>Key Escrow is bullshit. It's a bad concept, a bad idea, and mainly
>satisfies the control needs of a bunch of prune faced uptight stressed
>out & paranoid spooks. No one ~needs~ any form of publicly used
>key escrow (corps may want it for private internal use, but that's private)
>And I'll be damned if I'll ever use it. -Give no ground.

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.