Why not PGP?

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Thu Oct 10 12:30:29 PDT 1996

At 11:01 AM 10/10/96 -0600, Rollo Silver wrote:
>I use PGP to communicate (presumably) strong-cryptoed messages to my
>stepson Ray Hirschfeld in Amsterdam, and vice versa. He uses an
>internationational version of PGP, and I use the domestic version that I
>got from MIT. They seem to be compatible.

They are.

>I don't intend to submit my present or future private PGP keys for key
>escrow (Is that what's called GAK?).

GAK stands for Goverment Access to Keys.  Key escrow is a term used in
government circles to avoid that truth.

>1. Does anyone think that legislation might be passed which would
>criminalize my communications with Ray?

Such communication was illegal during world war 2.  Your belief in furture
government (in)action depends on your trust of the government.

>2. Suppose someone writes a program Z that has no expicit crypto code in
>it, but has hooks for installing one or another version of PGP. Given a
>copy of Z, someone in this country could install PGP he got from MIT,
>whereas someone in Europe could install the international version.
>Would export of Z violate ITAR restrictions?

Yes

Bill Frantz       | "Cave softly, cave safely, | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | and cave with duct tape."  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com |           - Marianne Russo | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA