Govt wants to read your e-mail

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 9 02:15:11 PDT 1996

At 9:33 PM -0700 10/8/96, Christian Claborne wrote:
>In case you haven't heard....
>

>"AN ALLIANCE OF 11 SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE
>COMPANIES HAS JUST ANNOUNCED ITS FORMATION
>TO DEVELOP KEY-RECOVERY SOLUTIONS FOR
>ELECTRONIC ENCRYPTION, a crucial component of the
>Clinton administration's latest plan to loosen the export of

Avoiding the strong temptation to sarcastically thank you for letting us
know about this, let me make instead a non-sarcastic point:

Those who do not have the time or inclination to read the list and see what
is being discussed should avoid forwarding items to the list, especially if
these items come from news outlets, press releases, and sundry public
announcements.\

The list has enough traffic without people sending "have you seen this?"
things days or weeks after the event has been thoroughly discussed.

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.