ADJ_ust

Adamsc Adamsc at io-online.com
Fri Oct 4 05:03:52 PDT 1996

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:26:12 -0800, Timothy C. May wrote:

>Personally, I think there's a lot of hype about this whole "infowar" thing.
>Sure, security measures and vulnerabilities always need to be looked at,
>but a lot of the rhetoric is being driven by journalists looking for lead
>stories.

This is certainly the case with 99% of the computer industry press!

I certainly have no problem believing that a group of well-supplied
professionals could, with enough time and [political] support, take down a
single target.   For instance, if the CIA,FBI and NSA wanted to hose the 1st
Bank of China, I have a feeling that they would - eventually.   I have strong
doubts that someone would come up with a non-nuke that could destroy stuff
indiscriminately within a useably large area.

#  Chris Adams <adamsc at io-online.com>   | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
#  <cadams at acucobol.com>		 | send mail with subject "send PGPKEY"
"That's our advantage at Microsoft; we set the standards and we can change them."
   --- Karen Hargrove, Microsoft (quoted in the Feb 1993 Unix Review editorial)