The Right to Keep and Bear Crypto

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Thu Oct 3 19:30:54 PDT 1996

At 10:09 AM 10/3/96 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
>At 08:29 PM 10/2/96 -0700, azur at netcom.com (Steve Schear) wrote:
>>Unless we get the strong support of the gun lobby and NRA.
>
>The gun lobby and NRA are generally against handgun registration,
>but haven't stopped it.  We're against crypto key registration.
>The gun lobby and NRA are generally against machine gun licensing requirements,
>but haven't stopped it.  We're against strong crypto licensing requirements.
>The gun lobby and NRA are generally against firearms dealers' licensing,
>but haven't stopped it.  We're against crypto dealers' licensing.
>The gun lobby and NRA are generally against assault weapon import laws,
>but haven't stopped them.  We're against strong crypto import laws.

If the wimps at the NRA had any guts, they  would poll their membership,
asking if anybody would be willing to make "the sacrifice" (presumably due
to a recent terminal illness diagnosis).  Then, they'd get on the phone to
the Supreme Court, and point out that they'd just noticed that Supreme Court
appoints were ONLY "good for life" and suggest nicely that if all of the
above outrages (WRT guns) weren't reversed within the year, they predict
about nine open seats shortly thereafter.

Okay, maybe it's only wishful thinking, but...

If you take the position that all human life is equally valuable, then you
must concede that the deaths of nine fools is no worse than the deaths of
nine randomly-selected individuals who found themselves the victim of gun laws.

Crypto relevancy?  Well, the so-called "gun nuts" have already tolerated far
more regulation and restriction of guns than we should ever accept.  But if
we use their tactics, can we expect any better results?

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com