Clipper III on the table

Omegaman omega at bigeasy.com
Wed Oct 2 09:32:48 PDT 1996

> Allow me to say here that I do not belive that Netscape will be amongst
> those fooled so easily. But IBM, HP, TIS, and others have already been
> fooled. The USG does not need to get every software company to agree with
> their proposal. Divide and conquer. Seems that the USG has done a
> marvelous job of D&C so far.

If anything, it would not be in their best _marketing_ interests to
support GAK.  Rejecting GAK in favor of promoting strong crypto will
make them look like "good guys".

This is also true of Micro$oft.  And contrary to an earlier opinion,
I think Bill & Co. have been soured by their experiences with DoJ.
While their are far larger motivations involve, I certainly don't
think Micro$oft will skip at the chance to thumb their noses at the
government if it's to their advantage.

Both of these companies may be willing to support a DES-crack effort

me
 Omegaman <mailto:omega at bigeasy.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint =  6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2
                        59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63
Send a message with the text "get key" in the
"Subject:" field to get a copy of my public key.