How might new GAK be enforced?

Omegaman omegaman at bigeasy.com
Tue Oct 1 20:31:45 PDT 1996

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> (Else what's to stop Giant Corporation from using Non-GAKked software
> within the U.S., which is perfectly legal (under the "voluntary" system),
> but then "happening" to have their foreign branches and customers obtain
> "bootleg" versions at their end? All it takes is a single copy to get out,
> and be duplicated a zillion times. Voila, interoperability, with the only
> "crime" being the first export...which is essentially impossible to stop,
> for so many reasons we mention so often. Conclusion: Government must make
> this very mode illegal, perhaps by making it a conspiracy to thwart the
> export laws....)

This is surely one of the next steps

> Any other ideas on how the government plans to enforce GAK, to make GAK the
> overwhelmingly-preferred solution?

Well, clearly the goal is to "de-legitimize" non-GAK crypto for business
use.  In the Nytimes article (--sorry about the lack of URL) an official
mentions that banks and other large institutions will use "legitimate" types
of crypto while students and clever terrorists will continue to use other
types of crypto.

Notice that the issue of digital signatures and authentication has never
been adressed by government crypto policy.  A next step for the government's
cause is to begin recognizing digital signatures with the force of law
provided the signatures are made with "legitimate" (GAKked) crypto.

Signatures created with non-GAKked crypto will not be recognized by the law.
Contracts and agreements signed with non-GAKked crypto will not be
enforceable by the courts.

That is one sure way to "de-legitimize" "rogue" cryptography.

And undoubtedly IBM and other corporations who participate in the
"key-recovery" program will spend tons of money promoting there scheme.
And I suspect our tax dollars will also suppport the publicity campaign as
well as the creation of this system.

me

 Omegaman <mailto:omega at bigeasy.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint =  6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2
                        59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63
 Send e-mail with "get key" in the "Subject:" field
 to get a copy of my public key