denial of service and government rights

Black Unicorn unicorn at schloss.li
Sat Nov 30 21:53:04 PST 1996

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Anonymous wrote:

> > Again, I would argue that such a statute needn't even
> > exist given the rules already well estlablished and
> > demonstrated in action with regard to indefinate
> > seizure of computer hardware even in the absence of
> > criminal claims against the owner.
>
> Please forgive my naivete, but are there no legal
> weapons available to the 'victims' in such cases?
> I'm passingly familiar with the Operation Sundevil
> fiasco -- i.e., with the outcome re the principal
> 'charges'.  I'm appalled, however, at the apparent
> lack of remedies for return of such seized property.
> Are individuals who find themselves in such a
> predicament simply at the government's mercy (there's
> an oxymoron for ya)??

Of course you can fight a seizure, and try to compell them to return your
property.  About all they have to say to get a judge to look at you like
you're crazy is "Your Honor, this is material evidence being used in the
ongoing investigation of a crime.  We can't simply hand it back and try
and rent time with it to do our forensics tests...."

--
Forward complaints to : European Association of Envelope Manufactures
Finger for Public Key   Gutenbergstrasse 21;Postfach;CH-3001;Bern