The House Rules At The Permanent Virtual Cypherpunks Party

attila at primenet.com attila at primenet.com
Fri Nov 29 12:12:50 PST 1996

In <Pine.HPP.3.91.961129170630.7957A-100000 at cor.sos.sll.se>, on 11/29/96
   at 05:55 PM, Asgaard <asgaard at Cor.sos.sll.se> said:

::> Rule 2:  Don't forward articles from other forums to
::> cypherpunks.  We can find it ourselves the same place you did

::This is not universally true. Everyone doesn't have access to a
::functional News server or even to the Web, and some interesting stuff
::could come from closed commercial sites etc.
::
        for instance, I read a lot of liberal hogwash lists [know thine
    enemy].  there are lists after lists about lists. sorting out the
    precisely cut and trimmed info is hard --and there is not time to
    read a man who is being paid by the word!

    good summaries with pointers is essential.

:: [snip] ...to be able to request longer pieces with very few keystrokes,
::jya-style.
::
        john provides an extremely valuable service by covering a broad
    spectrum of sources.  since I read others, I am considering using
    the auto-respond features of procmail to do the same.  however, I
    sure wont cover as much ground as john does!

:: The most lazy of us will hardly even light up our browsers
::for a maybe-interesting URL.
::
        unfortunately, that is too true --even when your mail browser
    will pass the URL to the browser which is often in the background
    anyway.

::The problem is off-topic or quasi-on-topic forwards, including EPIC/EFF
::kind of announcements.
::
    hard to discern sometimes

::And all forwards would benefit from a personal
::comment by the forwarder (at the beginning of the mail, NOT after the 10
::screens document) where he explains what is interesting cp-wise.

        ABSOLUTELY!  always put your comments and the "pointer" out front
    --even if you are planning interline comments.

- --
  without arms they do not resist;
    without communication they know not what to resist.
        -attila