wealth and property rights

Dave Kinchlea security at kinch.ark.com
Fri Nov 29 10:27:11 PST 1996

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Murray Hayes wrote:

> Yes, there are maany angry young men in this country.  Unions prevent
> young men from compeating in the market place.  Unemployment Insurance
> artificialy increases the unemployment rate by 2% (this is a figure that
> many people more knowledgable than me have stated)  welfare increases
> the unemployment rate by another 1%.  The Canadian Pension Plan is
> out of money and yet I am still forced to contribute and for what???
> Will it still exist when I retire?  Not bloody likely.

I won't argue with your figures, I don't believe them but lets use them
for arguments sake. UI (or is it EI now?) + welfare increase the
unemployment rate by a combined 3%, that still leaves (at least) 7+%
unemployed, a significant number! Meanwhile, major corporations who are
significantly adding to the unemployment rate themselves (heard of
`downsizing') are making record profits. That too must be the poor
people's fault, yes?

You have a right to be angry about CPP, it pisses me too for I know I
won't get a dime either. But the people you *should* be mad at are the
seniors and politians who allowed this to happen, not the people on the
low end.

FWIW, I agree with you about the Unions (for the most part). Many have
lost sight of the reasons they were formed in the first place. The
leaders of those unions, at least the biggies, have become the monster
they so love to hate. The recent Canadian Airline fiasco is a prime
example.

> Fortunatly NAFTA has forced some of our companies to compeat or
> die.  Take a look at Canadian.  Are they gone?  I didn't get to watch the
> news today......

Last I heard, the CAW was still refusing to allow a vote. I would love
to see that union broken myself.

> I'll bet that most of the employees would gladly take a 10% wage cut
> to save to company but the union leaders won't let them vote on it.  Why?
> Because they would loose power.  Look at what the govn't do.  Most of
> them just contribute to the problem by offering hand outs.  They don't
> need hand outs!  ONE gov't (Alberta) offered to lower the fuel taxes.
>

> YAAAAA RALPH!!!  (Who's ecinomic reforms incidentally (sp)  was
> hearalded by the Post as a model for govn't across North America)

Who has also been implicated in some form of insider trading, not the
white knight everyone would have us believe.

> Cut taxes and kill the union leaders.
>
> Sorry for siting my sources.....

I assume you mean: "Sorry for NOT citing my sources"

cheers, kinch

PS: I am not going to keep this up, at least not on cypherpunks, it has
zip to do with the charter.