Fwd: Re: wealth and property rights

Murray Hayes mhayes at infomatch.com
Fri Nov 29 02:02:22 PST 1996

On Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:54:51 -0800 (PST), Dave Kinchlea wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Clay Olbon II wrote:
>>
>> This is provably bullshit.  Look at the HUGE numbers of people in this
>> country who make the economic decision to do nothing and go on welfare vs.
>> going to work.  Examine carefully the economic performance of the US vs the
>
>I don't know how much people get on welfare in your country but I
>suspect that it is even less than in this country (Canada). Anyone who
>truly believes that people make the `economic decision to do nothing and
>go on welfare vs. going to work' has, in my opinion, no &^%* idea what
>they are talking about. Just try to *live* on a welfare wage for a few
>months to see how silly this thought is. While there may well be a few

Hmmm, only a few years ago the Finacial Post did a report on welfare in
Ontario.  The maximum benifit package (for two adults, two children or
something like that) came to about 34 000 dollars.  YES 34 000 dollars.
Actually, the figure the Post published was wrong.  Welfare Ontario said
they were a couple of hundred dollars UNDER the true value.

Of course that isn't all in cash.  It comes as subsidies houseing, free diapers,
free baby food......

Are you telling me that it would be hard to live on 34 grand?  I wasn't aware
that our dollar was so weak....

And then there is the B.C./Alberta fiasco.  The final check welfare recipients
get in Alberta just happens to be the exact amount it costs to buy a bus ticket
to B.C.

The B.C. govn't gave up ALL federal funding of their welfare program to
impose a rule that required 3 months of residence before benifits would
be given.

I don't even want to start talking about the newfys.

What it comes down to is this.  Eventually we as a society will have to
make a choice.  We will have to chose between hurting the people who
work and hurting the people who don't work.  You can't have it both ways.
IF  you MUST make the choice, who will you choose?

mhayes at infomatch.com

It's better for us if you don't understand
It's better for me if you don't understand
                                             -Tragically Hip