IQ and age

jbugden at smtplink.alis.ca jbugden at smtplink.alis.ca
Thu Nov 28 09:40:38 PST 1996

Clay Olbon II <olbon at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>Seriously, you ignore the correlation between performance in college and
standardized test scores.  There is a reason these are used in admissions - they
are actually pretty good predictors of the ability to perform college level
work. <

This is a commonly held fiction that is not supported by the evidence. As stated
in another message, the infomration given out by ETS, who administer the GMAT
and SAT, indicate that there is a low correlation between GMAT scores and
successful completion of even first year education programs. This also ignores
the issue of why other, better, widely available predictors are not used
instead.

>Oh, I forgot.  Only certain racial/ethnic groups are capable of understanding
basic mathematical concepts. <

There was a good Scientific American article on cultural influences on learning
within the last year or two. It examined Asian groups noted achievements in
tests and the parental and cultural support for scholastic achievement.

Another anecdotal example is in the opening chapters of "Surely You're Joking,
Mr. Feynman" by Richard Feynman, the late Caltech professor and general bon
vivant. He describes how his mother introduced a doctor, a general and a
professor with the same respectful tones indicating to him that a career in
academia was as highly valued as any other high position in society.

>I happen to feel better believing in the potential for any individual in this
country to succeed through hard work. <

I do to. But how good are your feelings as predictors of actual success?

James