Counterproductive Dorothy Denning Flames

William H. Geiger III whgiii at amaranth.com
Wed Nov 27 20:41:30 PST 1996

In <giw3XD10w165w at bwalk.dm.com>, on 11/27/96 at 08:57 PM,
   dlv at bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM) said:

>I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Denning in person and I asked her
>about her views on GAK. Her responses made a lot of sense to me. Most
>businesses, if they thought about it, would prohibit their employers
>from having information on company computers encrypted so the owner
>of the computer can't read them. This is just good business sense.

<sigh> GAK - Government Access to Keys and corporate control of encryption procedures &
keys are two completely different issues. This is just more smoke and mirrors to cloud &
confuse the issue. There are many solutions currently available for a company to handle
the encryption of their data including the use of "master keys" to prevent data loss (an
option available even with PGP). Government mandated infrastructure of GAK is unnecessary
and unwarranted for such purposes.

William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii
Geiger Consulting    WebExplorer & Java Enhanced!!!
Cooking With Warp 4.0

Author of PGPMR2 - PGP Front End for MR/2 Ice

Look for MR/2 Tips & Rexx Scripts
Get Work Place Shell for Windows!!

Finger whgiii at amaranth.com for PGP Key and other info

*MR/2 ICE: What I like about MS is its loyalty to customers!