CNET News Dispatch November 26th, 1996

The CNET newsletter dispatch at cnet.com
Tue Nov 26 23:22:46 PST 1996

***************************************

NEWS.COM DAILY DISPATCH
6:10 p.m. (PT)
Tuesday, November 26, 1996
San Francisco, California, USA

***************************************

WELCOME!

***************************************

The NEWS.COM DAILY DISPATCH highlights the up-to-the minute technology news
presented by NEWS.COM. It tempts readers with coverage of today's hottest
stories, news in the making, (in)credible rumors, and other indispensable
information.

For complete versions of the stories updated all day long, head over to:

   http://www.news.com/?nd

***************************************

CONTENTS

SCOOPS AND TOP STORIES

        The legislation that launched thousands of cyberspace ribbons
        The Nostradamus of the semiconductor market speaketh!
        Comdex sucks! No, it rules! Sucks! Does not! Does so!
        Might that be the virogen.asexual virus in your software?

ANNOUNCEMENTS
     An easy way for you to customize NEWS.COM
     Late-breaking stories just a click away with Desk Top News
     Send us your questions, comments, flotsam, and jetsam

***************************************

SCOOPS AND TOP STORIES

THE LEGISLATION THAT LAUNCHED THOUSANDS OF CYBERSPACE RIBBONS
It's baaaack... The Supreme Court will decide tomorrow whether it should
review the CDA--the legislation cyberspace loves to hate--or simply put it
out to pasture. Swirling around inside this legal vortex are issues of free
speech, the definition of "obscene," and a potential $250,000 fine for
transgressors. Maybe CDA really stands for "Can't download anything..."

   http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C5743%2C00.html?nd

***************************************

THE NOSTRADAMUS OF THE SEMICONDUCTOR MARKET SPEAKETH!
Who better than a Robertson, Stephens semiconductor analyst to take you on a
guided tour of the volatile world of semiconductor stocks? Dan Niles
demystifies the market's plummeting and rising...distinguishes between
trends and blips, and pontificates on where semiconductor stocks are going
in the long run. [Hint: Can you say $275 billion?...]

   http://www.news.com/Perspectives/perspectives.html?ntb.pers?nd

***************************************

COMDEX SUCKS! NO, IT RULES! SUCKS! DOES NOT! DOES SO!
If you've been to Comdex and survived, how did you manage it? NEWS.COM wants
your war stories. We will publish the best five, and the winners--picked on
a totally subjective basis by our editorial staff--will get supercool CNET
T-shirts. Mail suggestions at news.com, and include the words 'Comdex stories'
in the subject of your message. To paraphrase the Prez, "Let us feel yur
paynnne..."

   http://www.news.com/Comdex/?nd

***************************************

MIGHT THAT BE THE VIROGEN.ASEXUAL VIRUS IN YOUR SOFTWARE?
Downloaders of PointCast's version 1.2 got a bit of a shock for their
trouble, namely a Norton antivirus software-generated message that told them
they had contracted a virus with the esoteric moniker "Virogen.asexual."
While the scare isn't in league with the benzene-in-the-Perrier snafu of a
few years back, there were still ruffled feathers that needed smoothing.

   http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C5745%2C00.html?nd

***************************************

ANNOUNCEMENTS

AN EASY WAY FOR YOU TO CUSTOMIZE NEWS.COM
So many bits, so little time? Sounds like you need Custom News. Identify the
topics, keywords, or sections you're most interested in, and Custom News
will a create a page of headlines and summaries for all stories that match
your criteria. Check it out at:

http://www.news.com/Personalization/Entry/1%2C21%2C%2C00.html?nocache=1

***************************************

LATE-BREAKING STORIES A CLICK AWAY WITH DESK TOP NEWS
How would you like having split-second access to the very latest news on the
Net? Our Desk Top News feature puts our 20 most recent stories right there
on your desktop for you to review at any time. Here's how it works:

1. From any story, click Desk Top News in the top right.
2. A window will open showing our last 20 stories.
3. Click on a headline to display the story.
4. Desk Top News updates itself every 30 minutes.
5. You become known as Ms./Mr. Cyber-Info. It feels good.

   http://www.news.com/Help/Item/0%2C24%2C12%2C00.html?nd

***************************************

SEND US QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, FLOTSAM, AND JETSAM
If you have any questions, suggestions or remarks, send us a message:

   newsdispatch at cnet.com

CNET: The Computer Network
   http://www.cnet.com/
   http://www.news.com/