Bounty Server, Revisited.

Omegaman omega at bigeasy.com
Tue Nov 26 11:46:00 PST 1996

>      The objective is to actually bring this system online.

"cypherpunks write code."  good.

> Background:
>
>      There is a lot of software floating around. It basically falls into
>      5 catagories: Commercial, Shareware, Freeware, Gnu (and other
>      "Copyleft" schemes) and Public Domain.
>      <Need to fill this in, but at this point we all know what the 5 types
>      are>
>
>      It is the "Copylefted" software that interests me at this point. There
>      is quite a bit of high quality "Gnu" software, and at least one
>      operating system based on the GNU mentality (linux) however there
>      is a dearth of _enduser_ tools such as mail and news readers for
>      the more popular end user operating systems, word processors and
>      graphics editing software, easy to use Graphic Design Software (TeX
>      is NOT easy to use) and easy to use Cryptographic software.

many would pay good money for Linux native versions of programs like
Wordperfect, Corelpaint & draw, Pagemaker , etc.

>     4) Desired "quality" level: Proof of Concept, Alpha, Beta, Release etc.

Needs flesh.  What defines "alpha" or "beta" for purposes of bounty
or is that up to the person initiating the bounty?

>     6) Where the initiators money is to go if the bounty is not claimed:
>        I will provide a short (8 or 10) list of charities that the money
>        will go to if the bounty is not met. This is to keep the initiator
>        honest, as well as the server. Each contributor will also get this
>        choice.

Do you have the charities in mind?  They should be listed in the
abstract, I think.

Who will be publicize the initial bounty offer -- the server or
bounty initiator?  Information about a specific software project will
need to be disseminated beyond bounty.org.

More details on conflict resolution are needed in a final draft.  The
process and priorites the server administator will use to make his
judgements should be abastractly discussed and possibly 1 or 2
specific hypotheticals detailed.

me
 Omegaman <mailto:omega at bigeasy.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint =  6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2
                        59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63
Send a message with the text "get key" in the
"Subject:" field to get a copy of my public key.