IPG Algorith Broken!

Omegaman omega at bigeasy.com
Mon Nov 25 19:28:53 PST 1996

On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Alan Olsen wrote:

> >Actually, rather clever if you're trying to estlablish reputation.  Just
> >make sure you use the right key.

very true

> Reputation is not the only reason to use a "name" with an anon remailer.
> Sometimes you want to post (and have a reputation) that is entirely
> seperable from your "real life" persona.  Maybe you have a job where being

Stay with one nym long enough and the opposite may become true.  I've used
this nym for so long -- though not in these circles -- that I elected to
associate my true name with it.  The nym had far more built-up repuation
that my true name ever would.  (Of course, that's all meaningless here.)

Besides, I *like* the nym.  There is that psychological component of playing
with an alter-ego.  A lot can be said and done behind the veil of a nym that
might not be otherwise.  While many see this a threatening condition I have
always viewed it as an advantage.  Furthermore, it is a somewhat ironic
avenue to truth.  Politeness is not always conducive to getting to the heart
of an issue; nyms have little need for politeness or sugarcoating.

> Cypherpunks is gated to a number of Usenet News servers.  (Teleport is a
> good example.)  It is also archived in a number of search engines.
> (Altavista if I remember correctly, is one of them.)  Someone who does not
> want their words to come back any byte them might just use such a method to
> protect themselves.

And I would assume another nym in such a circumstance.

 Omegaman <mailto:omega at bigeasy.com>
  PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2
                        59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63
 Send e-mail with "get key" in the "Subject:"
 field to get a copy of my public key