wealth and property rights

snow snow at smoke.suba.com
Mon Nov 25 19:14:07 PST 1996

>>>Yup. I agree with you here - every year Forbes puts out its list of the
>>>fairly leveraged with mortgages and other loans, so their true net worth
>>>is not all that high.
>>>The "coupon-clipping" class is mostly "old money."
>>Well since so many people are commenting on it, I'd better explain.  I have
>>heard a number of times that of all the millionaires in this country, the vast
>>majority of them are first-generation millionaires.  I'll certainly admit that
>>that's different than saying most of the wealth is first-generation wealth.  And
>>sorry, but I can't give a specific source.
> I have no doubt that the above is correct - but a million ($) just isn't
> what it used to be. Even if all the "millionaires" are 1st generation
> wealth, the million+ -aires certainly aren't.

     Bill Gates. Sam Walton.

     2 very large examples. Waltons heirs got most of his wealth, so they
are second generation.

     While it may be that "most" of the wealth is controlled by few entities,
exactly _what_ are those entities, and what does that wealth consist of?

    Real estate? Money in the bank? -or- things like stocks, bonds, and
other _investments_?
Petro, Christopher C.
petro at suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow at smoke.suba.com