(Fwd) New Mersenne Prime!

paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 12:14:56 PST 1996

New Mersenne Prime!  2^1398269-1 is prime!

Thanks to everyone's hard work, GIMPS (Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search)
has discovered the 35th known Mersenne Prime!  Joel Armengaud made the
discovery on November 13.  Amazingly, he kept this secret while he
double-checked the find on two other computers.  On the 18th, he notified
Richard Crandall, Chris Caldwell, and myself.  I verified it on my machine
on the 20th.  Slowinski, who was out of town at the time, provided the
independent verification on the 22nd.

More information can be found at these three web sites:
	http://www.sjmercury.com/business/compute/prime1122.htm
	http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/justforfun/1398269.htm
	http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/notes/1398269.html

As had been agreed upon before hand, credit for this new prime will go
to Armengaud, Woltman, et. al.

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul at crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul at cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/
      Email for PGP public key, ID: 5BBFAEB1