Stewart Baker on HP-Intel-Microsoft Crypto Announcement

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sun Nov 24 20:32:50 PST 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 22:14:34 -0500
From: Dave Farber <farber at cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: IP: HP-Intel-Microsoft Crypto Announcement

Date: Sun, 24 Nov 96 21:43:47 EST
From: "Stewart Baker" <sbaker at mail.steptoe.com>
To: farber at cis.upenn.edu
Subject: HP-Intel-Microsoft Crypto Announcement

I also attended the Hewlett-Packard/Intel/Microsoft announcement, and
I thought it might be useful to offer a slightly different perspective
from Ross Stapleton-Gray's and Declan McCullagh's notes.

It's understandable, given the coincidence of the two events, that
Ross and Declan saw the announcement as tied to the government's key
recovery initiative, but I think they may have been led astray by the
timing.  As I understand it, the HP framework is not so much an
embrace of government regulation in this field as a recognition by
some major companies that governments simply are not going to get out
of the business of regulating encryption soon, or at least not soon
enough for the people who want to build a secure global network right
now.  I see the announcement as an effort by business to sidestep the
policy debate, to say to the politicians, "Whatever crypto policy you
decide to adopt, this system will work with it."

So, in my view, the HP technology is significant mainly for its
flexibility rather than for supporting key recovery or any other
particular policy.  It allows PC manufacturers to build into their
products virtually any form of encryption that a user could want and
to ship those products around the world without falling afoul of
export controls or domestic regulations on encryption.

>From a security point of view, this is important because it allows
commoditization of security hardware.  One of the reasons why
encryption hardware has not spread is that individualized licensing
and local restrictions make it imprudent to include hardware security
as a standard feature in PCs aimed at mass markets.  The HP system has
safeguards that have evidently persuaded governments that they can
allow mass market sales of hardware encryption without giving up their
current regulatory authority.

What does this mean for the government's key escrow policy?  First, as
we heard at the news conference, HP's system will run the TIS
commercial key recovery system (and presumably the CertCo./Bankers
Trust system as well).  So it will make key recovery products
available to buyers.  But it will also run 40-bit encryption, DES, and
other strong algorithms without escrow.  The customer decides what
crypto to use; the framework doesn't favor one of those technologies
over the other, except that it allows customers to buy strong
key-recovery crypto today with the knowledge that the hardware won't
become obsolete tomorrow if government policies change and something
more attractive comes along.

As a separate point, I'm not sure Declan is right to call this
vaporware.  The basic hardware has been available for a while.  (I saw
an early demo a few years ago.)  It sounds as though the R&D is done;
all that remains is engineering, and maybe not too much of that.