Mass-market crypto phones

Mullen Patrick Mullen.Patrick at mail.ndhm.gtegsc.com
Thu Nov 21 12:50:31 PST 1996

From: Clay Olbon II on Thu, Nov 21, 1996 15:20

>A while back, Eric Blossom posted a URL for a mass-market, phone encyrption
>device (http://www.comsec.com/).  The point of this post is to posit a

The above mentioned crypto phone was incredibly expensive, if I remember
correctly.  What it basically was (Please keep in mind I may be thinking
of a different product) a box containing a modem and a crypto-crunching
CPU.  Phone in one end, processed by said CPU, and send out other end.  I
have/had a similar idea, but I want to try make it a totally software
product (assuming you have the necessary hw requirements on your computer)
where you talk in through a microphone (can something be wired so you can
use a regular phone plugged into your computer/modem/soundcard???) your
CPU crunches code, and spits out the encrypted data.  Obviously, the
complementing steps would be done on the receiving end.
Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

>I think we need to keep a couple of goals in mind.  The first, is to get
>encrypting phones (or phone add-ons) into Wal-mart, K-mart, etc (where
>probably most Americans now buy their phones).  The prices need to be low
>enough that people will want to buy them (<$100?).  Is this technically
>feasible?  The comsec device from the above URL already demonstrates the
>needed capability.  Is the cost target possible?  My guess is soon, given
>the lowering costs and increasing capabilities of current processors.

Goals sound good.  I feel it *definately* has to be below $100.  Personally,
I use a phone bought at K-Mart that cost $12 _after_ tax...  I wouldn't
mind paying $50 for a techno gizmo that made my conversations, inane as they
may be, private.  The price would also have to be low to assure the other
end has a similar techno-gizmo, or I would have wasted my money.  Anyone
else see the *immediate* need for a standard?

>The second goal needs to be to push a similar product for cell-phones.

If I'm not mistaken (and I've been known to be from time to time :-), cell
phones are already encrypted between the phone and cell tower.  That way,
they are no less private than a regular phone.  Of course, you may be
referring to further end-to-end encryption built into the phone in addition
to this, but as far as they being less secure than a house phone, I'm not
sure about that one.

>Given that these goals are met, I think widespread use of crypto over phone
>lines would become almost inevitable.  However, the fun part would be the
>introduction of such products.  The FUD coming from police, the government,
>etc. would be amazing to behold.

Agreed!

>        Clay

>Clay Olbon			    olbon at ix.netcom.com
>engineer, programmer, statistitian, etc.

PM

USER ERROR:  REPLACE AND STRIKE ANY KEY WHEN READY