Why I Don't Read SF Much Anymore

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Wed Nov 20 22:49:31 PST 1996

At  6:09 PM 11/20/96 -0800, Hal Finney wrote:
>What fiction can people recommend which presents crypto/privacy issues
>realistically?  How about this new book that Neal Stephenson is working
>on, does anyone know what it's about?  His short story, "Hack the Spew",
>a few months ago (in Wired, I think?) had a strong crypto flavor.

"A Fire Upon the Deep", Vernor Vinge presents one time pads as the most
valuable item in intersteller commerce.  Crypto also plays an important
role during the final battle.  He also has a new take on exceeding the
speed (of light) limit, and a well drawn group-mind species.

Bill Frantz       | The lottery is a tax on    | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | those who can't do math.   | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com |       - Who 1st said this? | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA